Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament Catholic Academy has a history of excellence. In February 1951, Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament School was officially opened with a total of four hundred and twenty-eight students enrolled in the first five grades. Sister Marguerite was the first principal, and the school was staffed by the sisters of Mercy from Dallas, Pennsylvania.
The first kindergarten class was instituted in September 1951, and for the next three years a new grade was added until the school reached its goal of offering a complete elementary education through the eighth grade. The graduates of 1954 had the honor of being the first graduating class of Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament School.
Throughout the 1960’s enrollment blossomed to 1,000 students, necessitating the use of the auditorium, stage, and balcony and the convent basement as classrooms. To accommodate the burgeoning student population, in February 1965, construction began on a new wing that would house eight more classrooms as well as a gymnasium. In September 1966 the new wing was opened and another chapter was added to the school’s legacy of service to its community.
Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament Catholic Academy rose to the challenges of the times and underwent many changes in the 1960’s and 1970’s. As the number of religious faculty decreased, dedicated lay teachers answered the call and staffed the school in growing numbers. A physical education teacher, a full time school psychologist, and a permanent secretary were added.
During the next two decades, with the addition of the Pre-Kindergarten program, Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament Catholic Academy continued to offer children of the parish and surrounding areas a well-rounded education. In addition to instruction in Religion, Language Arts, Social Studies, Math and Science, classes in Computer Science, Physical Education, Foreign Language, Art and Music completed the educational experience. In 1996 Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament School was awarded accreditation from the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and has since received re-accreditation through 2015. In 1998 a separate computer room was added on.
Since 2003, the stewardship of Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament Catholic Academy has rested in the hands of Mrs. Joan Kane who has continued the school’s tradition of excellence. Under her leadership the academy has added full day Pre-Kindergarten classes, a weather station, Pre-School “Music Together”, a string orchestra and a Show Choir. Technology has been expanded to include the Internet in all classrooms, and Wi-Fi throughout the building. The computer room was updated in 2018, all homeroom classrooms are equipped with an interactive whiteboard or SmartBoard, and an iPad and ChromeBook program was added in 2012.
Firmly rooted in the past, fully dedicated to the future, Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament Catholic Academy continues to pursue the goal of developing and nurturing the spiritual, intellectual, emotional and social needs of its students within the framework of their faith tradition, thereby continuing its tradition of superlative Catholic education.